Studying in New Zealand With Your Partner and Children: A Family-Friendly Option

POSTED ON August 2, 2023 | BY Admin

Studying abroad is a fantastic opportunity to broaden your horizons, learn from a new cultural perspective, and meet like-minded individuals from around the world. However, it can also be a challenging experience for families, with the fear of separation from loved ones fraught with high expenses and visa documentation concerns. But fear not, if you’re considering studying in New Zealand, you can bring your partner and children with you as there are options for your loved ones to join you.

Students and their partners can enjoy time together in New Zealand with a partnership-based visa. Moreover, if you’re studying an eligible qualification, your partner can work in New Zealand on a partnership-based Work Visa. And even your children can be included in your visa application if they meet the requirements. Let’s explore these options further, so you can make an informed decision.

New Zealand’s partnership-based visa recognizes unmarried, same-sex and opposite-sex couples who have been together and are in a genuine and stable relationship. As long as you meet the eligibility criteria, you can apply for the partnership-based visa. The process requires an extensive partnership history and joint evidence of living together. Once granted, the partnership-based visa allows you to live, work, and study in New Zealand for the duration of your course.

As a partner on a partnership-based visa, you can work full-time in New Zealand if you are studying an eligible qualification. This is a great opportunity for couples to travel and explore New Zealand together while contributing to the family income during their stay.

If you’re planning to bring along your children, your dependents can be included in your visa application. If your children are attending primary or secondary school, you can apply for the Dependent Child Student Visa, allowing them to join you during your studies in New Zealand. But if you have children too young for school, there is an option for Visitor Visa. It is essential to note that as dependents, they cannot work on these visas.

The eligibility criteria for a dependent’s visa will depend on their age and relationship. A dependent child can be treated as a domestic student, which means you don’t have to pay tuition fees for them to go to school.

Studying abroad together as a family in New Zealand is a great way to broaden your education and life experiences in another country while staying together. Thankfully, New Zealand acknowledges that importance, and there are many visa options available to help reunite your family during your studies. You can apply for a partnership-based visa, allowing your partner to work and enjoy New Zealand while you study. Your dependent children can also join you, as a student or a visitor depending on their age and school enrolment.

New Zealand’s government is family-friendly, and with the right visa, your family can explore this beautiful country alongside you, enjoying the rich culture, stunning nature, and making unforgettable memories together. If you’re planning to study in New Zealand, bring your family along, and make it a family adventure.

Get in touch with Immigration Advisors New Zealand Ltd, which provides up-to-date immigration information so you can consider opportunities and prepare yourself for the future. To know all the required procedures, contact us at or call on +64 09 3790219.

Related Articles

Contact Us​

Stay in touch with IANZ NZ Study Advisors for the most authentic assistance when it comes to getting admission in top colleges and universities in New Zealand.


71 Symonds Street, Level - 6, Grafton, Auckland
City Centre, New Zealand - 1010

Get In Touch

Student Visa
Click here ×